Pakistan to ‘examine’ Interpol notice against Hafiz Saeed

London, Aug 28 (Inditop.com) Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said his government will examine an Interpol red corner notice against Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, who India says masterminded last year’s Mumbai terror attacks.

“We will examine it,” Malik said at a press conference in London Thursday.

He, however, pointed out that certain “procedures” were needed to pursue the notice.

Malik also said Pakistan has received a dossier from India, but needs to examine whether it meets “procedural requirements”.

“We need tangible evidence which can stand the test of the court,” said Malik, who appeared alongside Altaf Hussain, the London-based chief of the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM), a junior partner in Pakistan’s ruling coalition.

Interpol issued the notice Tuesday after a Mumbai special court issued non-bailable warrants against Saeed and 21 others for their alleged roles in the Nov 26-29, 2008 attacks that claimed the lives of over 170 people, including 26 foreigners.

Malik said action taken by Pakistan so far has been very transparent.

“We have already arrested five,” he said, adding that “two more have been arrested” about whom he will provide more information soon.

“Pakistan will never allow anyone nor will allow our side to be used against India or anyone else,” Malik maintained.

He also recalled a statement by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the possibility of more terrorist activity in India and demanded that New Delhi share information about this with Islamabad.

“Please give us some information, we want that information, because we want to go to the depth (of it),” Malik said.

Addressing a conference of chief ministers on internal security in New Delhi Aug 17, Manmohan Singh had said “there is credible information of ongoing plans of terrorist groups in Pakistan to carry out fresh attacks” and warned of fresh infiltration from across the border.

Manmohan Singh also described cross-border terrorism as “the most pervasive threat” facing India and stressed the need for continuing vigilance.

On Thursday, India said it was ready to share more details with Pakistan about Saeed but it was time for Islamabad to act.

“We will be happy to share more details. The ball is now in Pakistan’s court,” an official source said in New Delhi. “It is for Pakistan to take take meaningful steps in this regard.”

The comments came days after New Delhi provided a fifth dossier to Pakistan that focused on Saeed.

Last week, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao handed over to Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik the latest dossier on the Mumbai carnage.

Intensifying pressure on Pakistan, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday said the Interpol red corner notice against him vindicated India’s stand on his involvement in the terror attacks. He asked Islamabad to take action against him.