Cricket Australia wants Warne to play in Big Bash

Melbourne, Sep 8 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) chief James Sutherland has exhorted spin legend Shane Warne to play in the revamped edition of the Big Bash League, saying his participation will help in promoting the Twenty20 event.

The event, scheduled for December, has been changed from a state-based competition to a city-based event with Melbourne being represented by two franchises – the Melbourne Stars and the Melbourne Renegades. Sutherland said it will be great to see Warne featuring in either of his home teams.

‘I would welcome his participation in the Big Bash League,’ Sutherland told reporters Wednesday.

‘It would be great to see him coming in and playing for one of the Melbourne teams.

‘Many fans in Melbourne would have a difficult decision to make as to which side they go with. That would be a determinant for a lot of people.’

Warne, who retired from the Indian Premier League earlier this year, had earlier said that he is considering playing in the Big Bash but will take a call after sorting out his personal and professional commitments.

‘There is probably a possibility that I might play,’ Warne had told Radio 3AW last week.

‘I might be involved in some level on the Twenty20 but I am sort of mulling over those things at the moment with some business opportunities and sponsorship.

‘It (BBL) is a good initiative from Cricket Australia. I am just weighing those things up with scheduling.

‘Being divorced, with the children, juggling schedules, it’s difficult to give time-wise. My ex, Simone, and I are trying to work out what is the best combination to have the children, they are our No.1 priority. To try and juggle all the scheduling, sponsorship and all those sorts of things, that will come into the decision,’ said the 41-year-old.