500 fall ill in Nigeria after inhaling poisonous gas

Lagos, May 30 (IANS) At least 500 people, including women and children, have been hospitalised after inhaling poisonous welding gases in Nigeria’s Kaduna state, media reports said Sunday.

The incident occurred when a welder attempted to cut open a gas cylinder at around 3.00 p.m. Saturday, Xinhua reported citing a statement in the Sunday Punch newspaper.

Several people in the area suddenly fell unconscious, while several others started gasping for breath after inhaling the poisonous gas, Ahmed Musa, a local resident was quoted as saying.

No deaths have been reported from the hospitals where the people were admitted, Usman Agonan, an official with the Red Cross in Kaduna South, said.