26 hospitalised after chlorine leak near London

London, Aug 18 (IANS) A chlorine gas leak at a school near London led to at least 26 people, including students, being hospitalised Wednesday.

Staff and pupils at St. Catherine’s School in Twickenham, 16 km from London, were taken for treatment after they complained of runny eyes, a fire station manager was quoted as saying by Sky News.

Simon Brownings, of the fire brigade command unit, said builders working on an extension caused the leak. ‘There are contractors working at the school and unfortunately they mixed the chemicals together and caused a reaction in one of the drains.’

Police said one of the chemicals was chlorine.