Karachi, Aug 28 (Inditop.com) Pakistan is eyeing a compensation package of around $18 million in exchange for dropping its legal proceedings against the International Cricket Council (ICC) over staging the 2011 World Cup.
Ijaz Butt, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman, said at a press conference Friday in Lahore that in addition to the $10.5 million that is guaranteed to Pakistan as the hosting fees of its share of 14 World Cup games, the PCB is expecting to receive around $8 million more from the ICC.
“After calculations, I believe we will get around 1.5 billion rupees from the ICC,” said Butt, who met with ICC President David Morgan in Dubai, where the two cricket chiefs agreed to resolve the 2011 World Cup dispute.
As one of the four co-hosts of the 2011 World Cup, Pakistan was supposed to host 14 games of the quadrennial spectacle. However, earlier this year the ICC decided to relocate Pakistan’s share of World Cup games after a terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore in March.
Later, the PCB decided to send a legal notice to the ICC questioning its decision to shift World Cup games from the country.
Following a series of meetings in London and Dubai earlier this summer, it was agreed by the ICC and the PCB to work out a settlement out of court.
On his return from Dubai, Butt termed the settlement as a “victory” for Pakistan cricket.
“We feel that this was the best possible solution and we will get an additional amount and would not be forced to beg for money to keep our cricket on track,” he said.
Butt said the PCB needs huge funds to continue sending its teams on foreign tours, which have increased due to the absence of international cricket in Pakistan.
The PCB suffered financial losses of around $30 million after India refused to send its team to Pakistan for a series in January-February this year.