Aizawl, Dec 26 (IANS) Three minor children of a tribal family, including a girl, were burnt alive and one was seriously injured in Mizoram as their hut went up in flames, police said Friday.
“Three children, aged between six and three years, were burnt to death after their bamboo hut gutted early Thursday at Vairengte village (in Kolasib district) along the Mizoram-Assam border,” a Mizoram police official said.
He said the victims’ parents were away when the tragedy struck. A nine-year-old brother of the children suffered over 70 percent burns and is admitted to a government hospital in critical condition.
The eldest 11-year-old sibling was attending Christmas service at a church whenthe hut caught fire.
Police, quoting the villagers, said, the victims’ 32-year-old mother Lalrammawii was out of the house with her 7-month-old infant, asking her neighbours for some rice to cook on Christmas day as the poor Reang tribal family had nothing to eat at their home.
The 34-year-old Sanga, father of the kids, was away in another town in search of work.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a kerosene lamp they used for lighting the home, the police official added.