Pakistan to examine fresh 26/11 evidence

Islamabad, Aug 28 (Inditop.com) Holding that “certain procedures” had to be followed, Pakistan has said it would examine the fresh evidence submitted by India on the basis of which Interpol had issued a red corner notice against Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, the alleged mastermind of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.

“We will examine it (the Interpol notice),” Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said at a news conference in London on Thursday.

Certain procedures were required to pursue the (Interpol) notice, he added.

Interpol issued the notice against Saeed on Tuesday after a Mumbai court that is trying the 26/11 case issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against the JuD chief for his alleged involvement in the Nov 26-29, 2008 terror attacks that claimed over 170 lives, including those of 26 foreigners.

On Thursday, India said it was ready to share more details with Pakistan about Saeed but it was time for Islamabad to act.

“We will be happy to share more details. The ball is now in Pakistan’s court,” an official source said in New Delhi. “It is for Pakistan to take take meaningful steps in this regard.”

The comments come days after New Delhi provided a fifth dossier to Pakistan that focused on Saeed.

Last week, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao handed over to Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik the latest dossier on the Mumbai carnage.

Intensifying pressure on Pakistan, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday said the Interpol red corner notice against him vindicated India’s stand on his involvement in the terror attacks. He asked Islamabad to take action against him.