Building catches fire in Uttar Pradesh, four injured

Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh), May 24 (IANS) Four firemen were injured while trying to douse a major fire which broke out in a multi-storied commercial building in a densely populated area here Tuesday, officials said.

The blaze erupted from a software company office on the ground floor of Saify Building in Civil Lines and spread to other establishments.

‘We had to press eight fire tenders into service to control the blaze. It was only after three hours that we were able to bring the situation under control,’ Chief Fire Officer Shiv Darash told reporters in Kanpur, some 80 km from Lucknow.

‘While we managed to rescue all those trapped in the company’s office, four of our team members were injured while carrying out the rescue operations. They are being treated in a hospital and their condition is stated to be out of danger,’ he added.

According to officials, the fire may have been caused by an electrical short-circuit.