Northeast to get funds for housing

Aizawl, Sep 17 (IANS) The central government will provide funds to northeastern states to construct houses for slum dwellers under the Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY), Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister Kumari Selja said Saturday.

‘The centre will be meeting 90 percent of the cost in RAY for these states while remaining 10 percent would be met by the concerned state,’ Selja told reporters here.

The funding pattern in other states of the country is 50:50.

The government had announced RAY in March last year for the slum dwellers and the urban poor. The scheme aims at providing central support to states that are willing to assign property rights to slum dwellers.

‘The scheme is expected to cover about 250 cities, mostly with population of more than one lakh across the country by the end of the 12th five year plan (2016-2017),’ she said.

‘Around 30,700 houses have been sanctioned for the eight northeastern states under RAY,’ the minister added.